I made this duirng my recent vacation as there was an abundance of Nectarines in Victoria Market and they were going cheap. Nectarines can be pretty expensive in Malaysia and I took the opportunity to bake this for tea. This cake tasted best served warm, soft and moist with a crunchy crust coupled with a slightly tangy taste of lemon.
Recipe for Nectarine Cake (adapted from 'here' with slight modification)
- 4 oz butter
- 3 oz caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 Tbsp lemon or lime juice
- 1.1/2 tsp grated lemon peel
- 5 oz self raising flour, sifted
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1.1/2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 3 to 4 Nectarines sliced into 4 quarters
- Grease and line a 9 inch springform pan or loaf pan.
- Beat butter with sugar till soft and creamy till well blended.
- Add in eggs one at a time, add in juice and peel.
- Fold in sifted flour till well combined.
- Spread batter evenly in the prepared pan.
- Arrange Nectarines on top, press lightly to adhere.
- Mix cinnamon and brown sugar and sprinkle on top.
- Bake in a preheated oven @ 180 deg.C for 45 mins. Test with a skewer till it comes out clean.
- Serve warm or at room temperature on its own or with some ice cream.
Linking this post to Carole's Chatter - Food on Friday - Apricots and Nectarines.