Tofu or soy bean curd is nutritious, full of protein, low in carbohydrates with no oil or sodium. Rather bland in taste on its own but pairs well with many ingredients. This is a very easy dish to prepare with minced meat and Shitake mushrooms topped with salted egg yolk. The egg yolk adds a golden hue to the colour of this dish. A fuss-free dish which goes down very well with a bowl of hot, fluffy, white rice.
Recipe for Salted Egg steamed Tofu
- 4 pieces white soft Tofu
- 100 gm mince pork
- 1 Shitake mushroom, soaked, stemmed and chopped
- 1 salted egg
- Sesame oil
- 1 tsp each of oyster sauce and light soya sauce.
- 1.1/2 tsp cornflour
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 3 tsp salted egg white
- a dash of pepper
- Season the meat with the above seasoning. Set aside.
- Place the 4 pieces of Tofu on a plate.
- Scoop some seasoned meat and mushroom paste onto the tofu, level the surface.
- Sprinkle on some mashed up salted egg yolk.
- Pour on some balance egg white mixed with a bit of water onto the base of the Tofu.
- Steam on high heat for about 8 mins.
- Drizzle on some sesame oil.
- Serve immediately with white rice