An easy and great flavour cool dessert to round up after a meal. I added in some hazelnut milk chocolate for the extra crunch and a pinch of salt as I like a salty/sweet taste.
Recipe for Kahlua Coffee Ice Cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 oz sugar
- 4 Tbsp instant coffee powder (used Nescafe)
- a pinch of salt
- 2 oz sugar
- 5 egg yolks
- 2 Tbsp Kahlua
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 100 gm Hazelnut milk chocolate, chopped (optional)
- In a saucepan, mix the milk, cream, sugar and coffee powder and cook under low heat. Keep stirring till sugar has dissolved and small bubbles appear. Set aside.
- Whisk the egg yolks with sugar till light, pale and creamy.
- Gradually pour the coffee mixture into the egg mixture, keep stirring not to overcook the eggs. Mix well.
- Pour this mixture back into the saucepan and cook, under low heat, keep stirring with a wooden spoon. Cook till the custard can coat the back of the wooden spoon. Draw a line at the back of the wooden spoon and if the line stays, then the custard is done. Remove from heat.
- Mix in the Kahlua and vanilla.
- Pour this mixture into a large bowl, cover with cling wrap. Let cool to room temperature before refrigerating overnight.
- Churn the mixture in an ice-cream maker according to manufacturer's directions. At the end of churning, mix in the chopped chocolate and pour the ice cream into a tub to freeze.