I've made pies with potatoes before but haven't tried with a mix of potatoes and sweet potatoes. Spotted this recipe from a Coles magazine which spurred me to give it a try. It wasn't bad really. I think that the sweetness of the sweet potatoes did blend well with the savoury filling. All in all, a comforting one-dish meal for my family.
Recipe for Sweet Potato Chicken Pie (adapted from a Coles magazine with modifications)
- 400 gm sweet potatoes
- 400 gm potatoes
- 650 gm chicken fillet, cubed
- 1 onion, cubed
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 carrot, cubed
- 1 capsicum, cubed
- 3 tsp chicken granules
- 2.1/2 tsp mixed dried herbs
- 1.1/2 cups water
- 2 Tbsp cornflour + 2 Tbsp water to thicken
- Sugar, salt and pepper to season the chicken fillet
- Season the chicken fillet with some salt and pepper, set aside.
- Wash the potatoes, cook in a pot of boiling water. Drain, cool, peel and mash till smooth. Mix in some salt, set aside.
- Heat some oil in a pan, saute the garlic till fragrant, add in the onions, carrot and capsicum, stir-fry. Dish out and set aside.
- In the same pan, add some oil, stir-fry the seasoned chicken fillet, add in the water, simmer till meat is cooked. Toss in the onions, carrot and capsicum. Mix well, add in the cornflour thickening, chicken granules, fine tune to desired taste. Sprinkle on some mixed dried herbs.
- Spoon mixture into 4 x 1 cup capacity ramekins, top with the smashed potatoes. Place on a baking tray and bake for 20 mins. till golden and bubbling.
- Serve immediately.
I'm linking this post to
Cook-Your-Books #5 hosted by Kitchen Flavours