The Winter Solstice Festival or 'Dongzhi' falls on this Sunday, 22nd December. Again, glutinous rice balls called tong yuen/tangyuen generally with sweet fillings are eaten today. For a change, I made them savoury this year, fried with minced meat. It was well received by family members and I was happy as it was treated as a meal!
Recipe for Fried Tang Yuen
- 150 gm minced pork
- 2 Shitake mushrooms, soaked, stemmed and diced
- 30 gm dried shrimps, chopped
- 250 gm tong yuen
- 2 pips garlic, chopped
- Spring onions, chopped
- Sesame oil to drizzle
- 1 tsp each of light soya sauce, cornflour
- 1/4 tsp each of seasalt, sugar
- dash of pepper
Seasoning for the minced pork
- Heat up a pan with some oil, saute the chopped garlic till fragrant.
- Add in the dried shrimps, followed by the mushrooms and the marinated pork. Sprinkle on some water and stir-fry till cooked.
- Meanwhile, cook the tong yuen with some boiling water. Strain off water and add to the meat mixture. Give it a good stir to mix well.
- Fine tune to taste.
- Toss in the spring onions, mix well.
- Drizzle on some sesame oil.
- Serve immediately.
Have an enjoyable 'Dongzhi' with your loved ones.
I'll be taking a break over X'mas and the New Year. See you all in 2014!
Here's Wishing everyone of you
A Very Merry X'mas and A Blessed New Year!