These Black glutinous rice Angku Kuih was made quite some time ago but I had to put the post on hold as I was pre-occupied with the posts for Chinese New Year Cookies. The dough was prepared a day before and kept refrigerated till ready for use. These angku kuih was soft and chewy and I must thank Happy Flour for sharing this recipe.
Recipe for Black Glutinous Rice Angku Kuih
- Ingredients (Dough)
- 130 gm glutinous rice flour
- 50 gm sweet potatoes, peeled, steamed, mashed
- 20 gm black glutinous rice flour
- 125 ml water (to add sparingly)
- 1/2 Tbsp oil
- 150 gm split mung beans
- 80 gm - 100 gm sugar
- 1.1/2 Tbsp oil
- Soak the beans overnight, steam for 35 to 40 mins. or till soft.
- While hot, blend the beans with 1 cup of water.
- Heat up oil in a pan and fry the bean paste with sugar till it forms into a paste, leave to cool.
- Mix all the ingredients together, knead to form a soft dough, adding in water sparingly.
- Wrap wiht clign wrap and rest in the fridge for 1 to 2 days. (This is to allow the flour to absorb the liquid).
- Let dough rest in room temperature, knead before use. (If dough is dry, add water, if dough is wet, add some glutinous rice flour).
- Dust the mould with some rice flour.
- Pinch some dough to form a ball, flatten, put in the filling, wrap up into a ball and place the ball of dough into the mould. Press it in a bit and knock out the kuih. Place the kuih onto a greased banana leaf.
- Steam under medium heat, small kuih for 3 mins. while the big ones take 6 mins.
- Remove the kuih and immediately brush on some oil.
- Let cool, serve.
Note : Small kuih - 15 gm dough/15 gm filling. Big kuih - 50 gm dough/50 gm filling.