I was a bit apprenhensive at the onset when I chose to use yam paste as the filling for this Black Sesame Angku Kuih. Just wondering how will the taste of yam combine with the black sesame. But if I don't experiment, I wouldn't know. Come what may, I tried and wasn't disappointed at all when the Kuih were freshly steamed and the first bite said it all ...... yummy!
- Ingredients for Yam Paste
- 350 gm yam (nett weight), steamed with pandan leaves and mashed
- 150 gm sugar
- 60 ml oil
- Pandan leaves
- Combine and cook the above together under low flame, keep stirring till the paste comes together, leaving the sides of the pan and can be lifted up with a spatula.
- Yield : 460 gm of yam paste.
- Mix ingredients (A) and cook till thick, let cool.
- Combine (A) to the remaining ingredients (B). Knead till soft but not sticky.
- Wrap the dough (about 400 gm) with cling wrap and keep refrigerated overnight.
- Yield : 9 big ones and 11 mini ones
Ingredients for Skin
(A) 30 gm rice flour
60 ml water
(B) 150 gm glutinous rice flour
25 gm black sesame powder
40 gm sugar
100-110 ml water
2 Tbsp oil
To assemble the Kuih, please refer 'here'.