This is the cool gritty luscious dessert that I've always wanted to try. I surfed the internet for an 'easy to follow' recipe and chanced upon this delectable dessert from 'justonecookbook'. Mine didn't turn out as smooth as hers, maybe because I didn't grind the roasted black sesame seeds till very, very fine. Nonetheless, it was enjoyed by members of my family and they nodded with approval when I asked them whether it was good or otherwise.
Recipe for Black Sesame Ice Cream (adapted from 'here')
- 2 Tbsp roasted black sesame seeds, roasted
- 400 ml milk
- 70 gm sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 3 Tbsp black sesame paste (homemade)
- 200 ml heavy cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
- a pinch of salt
- To make the black sesame paste. Mix 3 Tbsp of roasted and grounded black sesame seeds with 3 Tbsp of honey to form a paste. Set aside.
- Pan fry the black sesame seeds over medium heat, stir till they start popping. Cool and grind very finely.
- Bring the milk to a simmer, remove from heat.
- With a handheld whisk, whisk sugar, egg yolks till pale yellow.
- Add in honey, the grounded black sesame seeds, black sesame paste.
- Add the milk into the sesame mixture, slowly.
- Pour the mixture into a small pot, simmer under low heat. Cook till custard thickens and can coat the back of the wooden spoon.
- Remove from heat and let cool, add vanilla.
- Whisk the cream and a pinch of salt till peaks form.
- Add the whipped cream into the cooled black sesame mixture.
- Fold in, don't overmix. Chill in the fridge, covered in cling wrap, overnight.
- Process in the ice cream machine according to instructions. Transfer to a container and freeze before serving.