My mum used to cook this dish but with a different part of the piggy.... the tail part, and it was a favourite among my siblings then. But that part of the piggy wasn't my cup of tea and today I replicated this dish with pork ribs instead. This is a comfort dish and it did pair well with a bowl of steaming hot rice. I served a blanched veggie on the side and that's our dinner!
Recipe for Braised Pork Ribs with Peanuts ~ 花生闷排骨
- 450 gm pork ribs
- 100 gm peanuts
- 5 cups of water
- 1 small carrot sliced (optional)
- 1 Tbsp light soya sauce
- 1 tsp dark soya sauce
- 3 pips garlic, smashed
- 2 tsp Shaoxing wine
- Cornflour to thicken
- Salt and sugar to taste
- In a wok, saute the garlic with some oil till fragrant, add in the pork ribs and peanuts. Stir-fry.
- Add water, salt, sugar and the light and dark sauces, simmer on low heat and cover with lid.
- Cook till the peanuts are soft and pork ribs, tender, add cornflour thickening and fine tune to desired taste.
- Drizzle on the Shaoxing wine, mix well.
- Dish out and serve hot with rice.