This post has been sitting on my desk for quite some time as I've been busy making mooncakes and posting the recipes on my blog for the mid-autumn mooncake festival. This Nigella Lawson's mother-in-law's Madeira cake does not need much introduction as many fellow bloggers have made and posted the recipe in their respective blogs. This lemony flavoured cake is soft and moist and is great for breakfast and double up for tea!
Recipe for Madeira Cake ~ 马德拉蛋糕 (adapted from 'here')
- 240 gm butter
- 150 gm caster sugar
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 6 Tbsp lemon juice
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 210 gm self-raising flour
- 90 gm plain flour
- Raw sugar for topping
- Sift flours, set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar till light and creamy, add in lemon zest.
- Add beaten eggs in three batches, with a tablespoon of flour for each addition at low speed.
- Gently mix in the rest of the flour in a few batches.
- Add in the lemon juice.
- Pour batter into a loaf pan lined with parchment paper.
- Sprinkle the top with raw sugar.
- Bake in a preheated oven @ 180deg.C for about 50 mins. till golden brown. Test with a skewer till it comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan for about 15 mins, before unmoulding and cooling it completely on a wire rack.