I've heard of salt and pepper crabs quite often but not salt and pepper chicken. So, when I chanced upon the recipe from Christine's Recipes, I didn't hesitate to try as the recipe was fuss-free and easy to follow. I used chicken drumsticks instead of chicken wings and the meat was tender and succulent, perfect to serve with rice or even on its own...... finger licking good!
Recipe for Salt and Pepper ~ 椒盐鸡
- 800 gm chicken drumsticks
- 2 pips of garlic, sliced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 tsp five spice powder
- 3/4 tsp sugar
- 1.1/4 tsp light soya sauce
- 2 tsp Shaoxing wine
- Marinate the chicken with the salt, black pepper, five spice powder, sugar and light soya sauce for about 30 mins, or more. (I marinated them overnight, kept refrigerated).
- Saute the garlic in a non-stick pan till fragrant, toss in the drumsticks, cook for a while, then pour in the juice from the marinade. Turn over the drumsticks once in a while, cover and cook till tender and semi-dry.
- Fine tune to taste.
- Drizzle on the Shaoxing wine, turn off heat.
- Dish out onto serving plate and serve.
I'm linking this post to the Little Thumbs Up, organised by Bake for Happy Kids,
My Little Favourite DIY and hosted by Diana of Domestic Goddess Wannabe and the theme for April is 'chicken'.