These cookies are very lemony both in fragrance and flavour with crispy edges and a soft, chewy cakey centre. Together with the delicate aroma of icing sugar, they were just irresistible after the first bite. A word of caution though - it was just impossible to roll the dough into balls even after I'd just taken it out of the refridgerator as due to our hot weather, the dough turned soft very quickly and it became very sticky. So what I did was to pinch some dough and toss it into the icing or powdered sugar to coat. Hence my cookies were not so uniform both in shape and in size!
These cookies are really yummy, something different from the normal CNY cookies, so why not add this to your CNY baking list too.........
Recipe for Lemon Crinkle Cookies ~ 柠檬裂纹曲奇 (adapted from 'here' )
- 250 gm plain flour
- 1.1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 200 gm caster sugar
- Zest from 2 lemons
- 113 gm unsalted butter
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- Icing sugar, sifted
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt, set aside.
- Cream butter, sugar and lemon zest till fluffy.
- Add in eggs one at a time, mix well.
- Add juice and fold in the flour till it just comes together.
- Wrap the dough in cling wrap and let chill in the fridge for 30 mins. or preferably overnight.
- Roll dough into balls and roll in the powdered sugar to coat.
- Bake in a preheated oven @ 180 deg.C for 8 to 9 mins. till the edges turn slightly brown.
- Yield : 100 cookies, depending on the size you desire.
Linking this post to Cook and Celebrate : Chinese New Year 2016
Zoe from Bake for Happy Kids.