I've made BBQ pork Char Siew before but this is my first attempt at making 'Chicken Char Siew'. I used whole deboned chicken leg to make this with only a few simple ingredients which are commonly found in any Chinese household. The result is tender, juicy char siew with exploding flavour and sesame fragrance suitable to go with plain rice, noodles or as an add on to fried rice.
- 3 whole chicken leg, deboned
- 2.1/2 Tbsp light soya sauce
- 1 tsp dark soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 500 ml water
- 3 pips of garlic, chopped
- pinch of salt
- lightly toasted sesame seeds
- Shaoxing wine
- Marinate the chicken legs with the sugar and light and dark soya sauces, preferably overnight.
- Heat up the wok with some oil and lightly fry the chopped garlic.
- Add in the 500 ml water, bring it to a light boil.
- Put in the marinated chicken legs and cook till tender with gravy reduced. Drizzle on some Shaoxing wine.
- Let cool, chop them up, sprinkle with some sesame seeds.