The Burdock root had always attracted my attention whenever I spotted it during my marketing rounds. I had been wondering how to cook with it as I know that it's a soup ingredient until one day I saw a lady promptly dropping a long Burdock root into her shopping basket. On inquiring further she told me that it's very nutritious and rattled off the ingredients that she will normally use to make this soup. So today, I'm sharing my recipe or rather hers with you.
Burdock root yuzhu and apple soup ~ 牛蒡玉竹苹果汤
- 400 gm pork shoulder, cut into chunks
- 150 gm Burdock root
- 50 gm yuzhu (polygonatum)
- 1 green apple
- 2 honey dates
- 3 lt water
- Seasalt to taste
- Scald the pork in boiling water, remove and rinse.
- Wash, peel and core the apple. Cut into wedges.
- Peel off the skin from the Burdock root and slice.
- Rinse the yuzhu.
- Fill a pot with 3 litres of water, bring to a boil and add in all the ingredients. Let it boil for about 5 mins, then turn to low heat and let it simmer for 2.1/2 hours. Season with salt.
- Ladle into bowls and serve warm.
- Yield : 4 to 6 servings.