Quite a number of fellow bloggers have posted Korean Egg Bread in Facebook and shared their recipes and I was tempted to try. It struck me that I could make this for lunch and upon surfing the internet for more info about this recipe, I chanced upon Seonkyoung's blog and decided to try her Korean Egg Bread recipe. I made some plain with a sprinkling of seasalt, some topped with roast pork and some with chopped spring onions. They were delicious and I will be making this again for a light meal.
Korean Egg Bread (Gyeran-Bbang) ~ 韩式鸡蛋面包
- 128 gm plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp melted butter or vegetable oil (I used canola oil)
- 12 small eggs
- spring onions/shredded cheese/bacon bits for topping
- 3/4 cup milk + 2 Tbsp white vinegar or lemon juice to make Buttermilk
- Make Buttermilk, set aside.
- Sift flour, baking soda and baking powder, add salt, sugar and mix well with a whisk.
- Add oil, egg and Buttermilk.
- Whisk till free of lumps.
- Put 1 Tbsp of batter into the greased muffin pan, break in a small egg, cover up with more batter but expose the egg yolk.
- Sprinkle on some chopped spring onions, bacon bits, mixed dried herbs or shredded cheese as desired.
- Bake in a preheated oven @ 180 deg.C for 20 mins.
- Serve immediately.
- Yield : 12 egg bread
A point to note is to use greased muffin pan so that the egg bread can be removed easily. With cupcake liners, the egg bread tends to get stuck onto the liners and you'll need to scrape out the last morsels of delicious egg bread.