The El Nino helped in speeding up the proofing process for these Pumpkin Cinnamon Nutty Rolls. I was really surprised when the dough tripled in size in just under an hour. I checked the temperature at that time and it was 34 deg.C! These sweet and tender rolls are best eaten on the day they are made but do heat up leftovers if any.
Pumpkin Cinnamon Nutty Rolls ~ 南瓜肉桂面包卷
- 1/2 cup milk
- 430 gm plain flour, sifted
- 3 Tbsp/45 gm unsalted butter, melted
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 2.1/4 tsp instant dry yeast
- 1 large egg
- 2/3 cup fresh pumpkin puree (from 300 gm raw pumpkin)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- some raw sugar to sprinkle
- 50 gm brown sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 50 gm lightly toasted walnuts, chopped
- 2 Tbsp melted butter
- Discard the seeds and membrane from the pumpkin and steam with the skin. Then scrape out the pumpkin, and mash with a spoon, leave aside.
- Heat milk and butter till butter is melted and pour this into a stand mixer with the dough hook attachment.
- Immediately sprinkle on yeast, let stand until a bit foamy, about 5 mins.
- Add sifted flour, sugar, egg, mashed pumpkin and salt. Mix on low speed, scraping the sides of the mixing bowl once and continue to beat till dough is smooth and elastic.
- Cover the dough with a piece of damp cloth, let rise in a warm place till double in size, about 1 hr.
- Grease a 9 x 13 inch baking pan with some melted butter, set aside.
- Mix the brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface and roll out the dough. Spread melted butter, sprinkle on the brown sugar mixture and chopped walnuts, leaving a 1/4 inch border.
- Starting from the long edge, roll up like a swiss roll, then cut to 15 pieces. Place rolls on the greased pan, cut side up, spaced evenly. Cover with damp cloth or cling wrap, let rise in warm place for about 45 mins to 1 hour. Sprinkle on the raw sugar.
- Bake in a preheated oven @ 180 deg.C for 20 to 25 mins. Let cool in pan for about 5 mins.
- Serve warm.
- Yield : 15 rolls
Note : Other than sprinkling with raw sugar, you can also top them with glaze or cream cheese frosting.