I took the opportunity to make some buns during this hot spell for I know that the dough will be able to proof very quickly. I wasn't wrong for the dough doubled up in size within half of the normal time required for the proofing process. These soft and fluffy buns were made using the 'Gelatinized Method' and you can view the step-by-step instructions 'here'.
These plain buns go very well with soup or can be served with just a spread of butter
Plain Buns - (Gelatinized method) ~ 普通面包子
Ingredients for Gelatinized dough
- 100 gm plain flour
- 70 ml boiling water
- Place flour in a bowl, add boiling water and mix with a wooden spoon or lightly knead to form a dough.
- Cover with cling wrap, leave to cool and keep refrigerated overnight.
Ingredients for Dough
- 400 gm high protein flour
- 75 gm caster sugar
- 20 gm skimmed milk powder
- 2.1/4 tsp dried yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 170 ml ice cold water
- 75 gm cold butter, cubed
- 1 cold egg, lightly beaten
- 1 whole egg lightly beaten for egg wash
- Sunflower seeds, pumpkin kernels, Demerara sugar (optional)
- Attach the dough hook of a stand mixer. Combine flour, sugar, mild powder, yeast and salt together in a mixing bowl. Mix well.
- Tear the gelatinized dough into piees and add to flour mixture. Add in beaten egg.
- Mix on low speed, adding in cold water gradually.
- Scrape the sides of the bowl and dough is combined when it leaves the sides of the bowl.
- Add in the cubed cold butter, mix to combine and turn on high speed and knead till dough is smooth and not sticky and can be lifted up with the dough hook.
- Shape dough into a ball. Cover with cling wrap or a piece of damp cloth and let proof in a warm place for about 45 mins to 1 hour or till dough double in size.
- Knock out air in the dough, gently knead on a flour dusted surface. Divide dough into 2 portions and subdivide into 6 rolls each. Shape each roll into a ball.
- Place balls of dough in a greased 10 inch square pan and cover with cling wrap or a piece of damp cloth. Let proof in a warm place for 50 mins.
- Apply egg wash. Sprinkle some with sunflower seeds and pumpkin kernels and some with Demarara sugar.
- Bake in a preheated oven @ 180 deg.C for 25 to 30 mins. Let buns cool in pan before serving.
- Yield : 12 Buns