I have baked lemon cakes before but not one with Cognac or Brandy. So I was eager to give this recipe a shot when I saw Zoe posted it on her blog and gave a raving review on it. True to what she said, this cake is moist and lemony with the lemon icing and I used homegrown lemons for this recipe. In fact I doubled the recipe and baked two loaves of this yummy cake and those who had tasted it, gave a thumbs up!
Lemon Cake with Cognac ~ 白兰地柠檬蛋糕
(adapted from 'here' with modification)
200 gm unsalted butter
300 gm caster sugar
350 gm plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
4 large eggs
6 Tbsp milk
2 Tbsp Cognac/Brandy
Icing - 120 gm icing sugar + fresh juice from 4 lemons. Mix till icing sugar has dissolved.
- Using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar till light and fluffy.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt into the butter mixture.
- Add eggs, milk and cognac/brandy.
- Beat till creamy.
- Pour batter into greased and lightly flour dusted loaf pans.
- Bake in a preheated oven @ 180 deg.C for 30 to 35 mins. Test with a skewer till it comes out clean.
- While waiting for the cakes to be baked, make the lemony icing.
- Once the cakes are removed from the oven, pour the lemony icing over the HOT cakes and let the icing be absorbed into the cakes. Let the cakes cool completely before slicing up and serve.