With only a few ingredients like snow fungus, sweet potato and some rock sugar, you can easily whip up a decent dessert. This dessert can be served chilled or warm, after a meal or you can enjoy it at any time of the day. This cooling dessert is very much more look forward to especially when we had to tolerate the current hot, humid heat.
This is with some beaten egg whites
Snow Fungus with Sweet Potatoes ~ 雪耳番薯糖水
- 1 sweet potato, about 200 g, cut into small pieces
- 1 piece snow fungus, about 30 g
- 2.1/2 litres water
- Cane rock sugar to taste
- 2 egg whites, beaten (optional)
- Pandan/screw pine leaves
- Soak the snow fungus in water till it becomes soft, Snip off and discard the yellow hard part on the under side of the snow fungus. Cut up the snow fungus into very tiny parts.
- In a pot, bring the water to a boil, add in the knotted pandan leaves and snow fungus. Let it boil for about half an hour till the fungus becomes soft.
- Add in the sweet potato cubes, let it simmer till cooked.
- Add rock sugar to taste, stir through till sugar is dissolved. Discard pandan leaves.
- Serve warm or chilled.
Note : You can add in beaten egg whites after adding the rock sugar.