I've tasted this Acar fish, long, long ago and I remember that my dad loved it. Traditionally, if I can recall, the sliced garlic, turmeric and ginger need to be dried under the sun before frying. I didn't adopt this method, just patted them dry with paper towel and let them air dry at room temperature. As for the fish, I pat them dry with paper towel before seasoning them with some salt and setting them aside for a few hours before deep frying them. This dish is truly very appetising and I'm sure you can't resist having a second helping of rice when this dish is served.
Recipe for Acar Fish Pickle ~ 啊杂鱼
- 300 gm silver mullet
- 300 gm mackerel fillet
- 50 gm young ginger, cut into matchsticks
- 50 gm fresh turmeric, peeled and sliced thinly
- 2 bulbs of garlic, sliced thinly
- 5 red and green chillies, sliced
- 5 birdeye chillies
- Lightly toasted sesame seeds
- Oil for deep frying
- 5 Tbsp of oil for frying
- 3.1/2 cups water
- 3/4 cup Chinese rice vinegar
- Salt and sugar to taste
- Air dry the sliced turmeric, ginger and garlic.
- Pat dry the fish with paper towel and marinate with salt.
- In a wok, heat up some oil to deep fry the fish, dish out and drain on paper towels. Discard the oil. Arrange the fish in a deep ceramic dish with the red, green and birdeye chillies.
- Heat up 5 Tbsp of oil in the wok and shallow fry the sliced turmeric till the oil turns yellow. Discard the turmeric.
- Add in the sliced garlic and ginger, shallow fry till fragrant and the ginger is slightly shrivelled. Dish out and place on top of the fish.
- Add water and vinegar to the oil in the wok. Fine tune to desired taste with salt and sugar, bring to a light boil.
- Pour the marinade onto the fish and make sure that the marinade fully covers up the fish and the other ingredients in the dish.
- Let cool before covering with the lid. Let it pickle overnight at room temperature.
- Sprinkle on some sesame seeds before serving.