The Mid-Autumn mooncake festival is fast approaching again. And for this year, it falls on Sunday 27th September. I used to look forward to this festival when I was a kid and I remember that when you buy the mooncakes from the shop or restaurant, you'll be given two complimentary little Nemo moonies that come in a little red plastic 'basket'. So why not try out this recipe and I'm sure it will be a hit amongst the kids!
Do click on the pictures for other Heong Fah moonies posted in previous years.
Recipe for Heong Fah Nemo Moonies ~ 2015 香化公仔饼
- 100 gm superfine flour
- 70 gm lotus paste
- 30 ml golden syrup
- 20 ml honey
- 25 ml vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp alkaline water
- Melon seeds, lightly toasted
- Egg glaze - 1 egg + 1 tsp water to mix and strain
- Red beans for eyes
- Mix golden syrup, honey and oil till no oil surface. Let rest for 2 hours.
- Sift flour into the syrupy mixture, mix in the lotus paste, cover with cling wrap and let rest in the fridge overnight.
- Lightly knead the dough on a floured surface. Weigh out dough of 50 gm, wrap some melon seeds into the dough and roll into a ball.
- Lightly dust the mould with some flour. Press the ball of dough into the mould. Knock out. Place a red bean onto the fish as eyes.
- Place the moonies onto a paper lined baking tray. Spray lightly with water.
- Bake in a preheated oven @ 160 deg.C for 10 mins. Let cool for 15 to 20 mins. Apply egg glaze, bake again for another 15 to 20 mins.
- Let cool before storing in an airtight container.
- Yield : 9 moonies