This is a 'cheat' version of chicken puff as I didn't make the rough puff pastry dough from scratch. It was store-bought, Kawan puff pastry to be exact. Why Oriental? Simply because the chicken filling was cooked the Chinese way with soya and oyster sauces, plus a drizzle of sesame oil with onions and frozen peas thrown in. They were indeed delicious and was perfect to snack on.
Recipe for Chicken Puff ~ Oriental (鸡肉千层酥皮)
- 350 gm chicken breast, cubed
- 2 onion, cubed
- 100 gm frozen peas
- 3 sheets of Kawan puff pastry
- Egg glaze
- 1 Tbsp light soya sauce, 1/2 Tbsp each of dark soya sauce and oyster sauce, 1/4 tsp salt, 2 tsps sugar, a dash of pepper, sesame oil and 3 tsp cornflour + 2 Tbsp water to thicken.
- Season the chicken with the above seasoning. Lightly fry the onions, then the chicken. Once cooked, add in the frozen peas. Mix in thickening and fine tune to taste.
- Thaw the puff pastry. Cut a sheet of pastry into 4 parts.
- Place some filling in the centre of the pastry.
- Fold over, press and space out the filling gently. Seal the edges.
- Use a sharp knife, make some slits on the surface of the pastry.
- Apply egg glaze.
- Place the pastries on a parchment lined baking tray.
- Bake in a preheated oven @ 180 deg.C for about 20 mins. till golden brown.
- Remove from oven, let cool for a while.
- Serve warm.
- Yield : 12 chicken puffs