I had some leftover hazelnut meal which I had to use up but it wasn't enough for this recipe and so I ground some nibbed almonds and came up with a mixed meal flourless cake! This flourless cake had vinegar and salt added to the egg whites and I was curious to find out how the cake would turn out. I was totally pleased with the end product as the cake was moist, light, not too sweet and it stayed fresh even after the fifth day. I had to keep the balance of the cake in a covered container in the fridge because of our current extremely hot weather. This is another keeper's recipe and I will not hesitate to bake this again in the future.
Recipe for Flourless Almond Hazelnut Cake ~ 无麸 杏仁榛子蛋糕
(adapted from 'here' with modifications)
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 Tbsp orange /lemon zest (I used orange)
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon/cardamon (I used cinnamon)
- 100 gm caster sugar (divided into 50 gm each)
- 170 gm finely ground almonds and hazelnut
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp white or cider vinegar (I used white vinegar)
- a pinch of salt
- snow powder or icing sugar for dusting
- Prepare an 8 inch springform pan. Line the base with parchment paper, grease and flour the sides of the pan. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the almond and hazelnut meal, sieve in the baking powder and mix in the cinnamon. Mix thoroughly, set aside.
- In another mixing bowl, beat egg yolks, orange zest and 50 gm of sugar till smooth.
- Add the almond mixture to the yolk mixture and beat till well combined. (Mixture becomes thick and grainy at this juncture).
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites on low speed, gradually increasing the speed. When bubbles start to form, add a pinch of salt and the teaspoon of vinegar (both salt and vinegar will help the beaten egg whites maintain better structure, as will the sugar in the next step). As the egg whites begin to increase in volume, sprinkle in the remaining 50 gm of sugar, a little @ a time as you continue to beat the egg whites. Beat till soft peaks form, but not dry.
- Fold the beaten egg whites into the almond mixture a little @ a time. Mix till well combined.
- Gently scoop the batter into the prepared springform pan and place in a preheated oven @ 175 deg.C. Bake for 35 mns., test with a skewer till it comes out clean.
- Remove from oven, let cool before umoulding the cake onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Dust with snow powder or icing sugar before serving.
I am submitting this to Best Recipes For Everyone, April 2015, event theme 'Fun with Almond' organised by Fion of XuanHom's Mom Kitchen Dairy and hosted by
Doreen of 'My little favourite DIY'