The annual Mooncake or Lantern festival is fast approaching and this year it falls on 15th September. These Lotus meat floss mooncakes were made from a wooden mould which I bought recently. Personally I find that stamping the mooncakes out from the plastic mould is faster and easier. These mooncakes are semi savoury because of the meat floss embedded in the lotus paste and having a nice neat cut can be a bit challenging because of the meat floss.
Lotus Meat Floss Mooncake ~ 莲蓉肉松月饼
- Ingredients for Skin Dough
- 150 gm superfine flour (may need to add more if too soft to handle)
- 90 ml golden syrup
- 38 ml vegetable oil
- 2 ml alkaline water
- Egg wash - 1 whole egg + 1 tsp water, mix and strain
- Mix syrup, oil and alkaline water thoroughly till no oil surface. Use a ball whisk.
- Sift in flour, mix well with spatula and let rest for 2 hours or more.
- Knead lightly on floured surface.
- Dough skin is 45 gm
- Lotus paste is 100 gm
- Meat floss is 10 gm
- Yield : 6 pieces of mooncakes
Filling - Lotus Paste (store bought)
- Chicken meat floss