This 'Fruit Pastry Cake' does not need much introduction as it's been very popular amongst fellow bloggers recently. Mine is adapted from 'Peng's Kitchen'. I simplified it a bit as I only used two types of fruits, canned sliced peaches and fresh strawberries.
Drain off the syrup from the canned peaches and arrange them on the cake with the halved strawberries.
After 70 mins. in the oven, the cake is transformed ..............you can dress it up a little or just leave it as it is.
I chose to dress it up a little. Dusted some icing sugar on top and it looks like snow drops! So pretty!
Not only is the cake pretty, it tastes great too with the fruits ........... just yummy! A keeper for sure!
- 100 gm butter
- 200 gm caster sugar ( I reduced it to 170 gm)
- 50 gm sour cream ( I used low fat yoghurt)
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp lemon/orange zest
- 210 gm plain flour
- 1 level tsp baking powder
- 500 gm fruits tossed with 2 Tbsp sugar ( I omitted this). Fruits can be peaches, strawberries, blueberries, cherries, pineapples, pears or any other fruits that are not juicy.
- Icing sugar, optional
- Lightly grease and dust an 8 in. or 9 in. round springform cake pan. Set aside.
- Sift flour with baking powder and set aside.
- Drain off the syrup from the canned peaches and cut the strawberries into half.
- Cream butter, sugar and yoghurt together till light and fluffy.
- Add in lightly beaten eggs, little by little and beat till well incorporated into the batter. (Mixture may curdle slightly).
- Add in vanilla essence and zest. Mix to combine.
- Fold in sifted flour, mix well, scraping from the bottom and the sides of the mixing bowl.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan.
- Arrange the fruits on top, do not press the fruits down onto the batter.
- Bake in preheated oven @ 180 deg C for 60 - 70 mins. Test with skewer till it comes out clean. Cover the top with foil in the last 15 mins. of baking to prevent browning.
- Leave the cake to cool in the pan for about 5 - 10 mins. Unmould and transfer to wire rack to cool.
- Dust cake with icing sugar if desired.