This Steamed Purple Sweet Potato Kuih is my second attempt as the top layer was too thick on my first try. So, this time around I decided to reduce the recipe for the top layer and it does look much better! Taste wise, you may ask...... mmm, soft and not too sweet, good for breakfast or snack, any time of the day!
Recipe for Steamed Purple Sweet Potato Kuih
- Ingredients - Bottom Layer
- 180 gm rice flour
- 30 gm green pea flour
- 300 ml water
- 480 ml water
- 220 gm granulated sugar
- 50 gm steamed sweet potato bits
- Mix the rice flour, green pea flour and 300 ml water thoroughly. Sieve the mixture into a pot.
- Add in 480 ml water and sugar, keep stirring and cook on low heat.
- Once the mixture starts to thicken, turn off heat. Pour mixture onto an oiled 8.1/2 inch square tin.
- Toss in the steamed sweet potato bits. Steam on medium heat for 25 mins. or till the surface is a bit firm to the touch.
- 85 gm plain flour
- 60 gm granulated sugar
- 100 ml egg, lightly beaten
- 100 ml coconut milk
- 3.1/2 Tbsp sweet potato paste
- 270 ml water
- Mix the plain flour, coconut milk, eggs, sweet potato paste and water. Mix well and sieve the mixture into a pot.
- Add in sugar, keep stirring and cook on low flame.
- Once the mixture starts to thicken, turn off heat. Pour mixture onto the surface of the bottom layer.
- Cover with a piece of foil to prevent water from dripping onto the kuih. Steam on medium heat for 35 to 40 mins.
- Remove from steamer and let kuih cool completely before cutting it up with a plastic knife.
I'm submitting this post to Muhibbah Malaysian Monday hosted by Suresh of 3 Hungry Tummies. Check it out here