This is a luscious rich, moist chocolately cake. The Guinness stout does pair well with the chocolate, although the taste of stout is not overwhelming. Definitely tastes much better the next day.
Recipe for Guinness Chocolate Cake (adapted from Nigella Lawson with slight modification)
- 250 ml Guinness Stout
- 250 gm butter
- 45 gm cocoa powder
- 220 gm brown sugar
- 110 gm caster sugar
- 3/8 cup yoghurt (measuring cup halfway between 1/4 and 1/2)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 Tbsp vanilla
- 275 gm plain flour
- 2.1/2 tsp baking soda
- A pinch of salt
- Sift the flour with baking soda and salt, set aside.
- Melt the butter and Guinness stout. Remove from heat, add sugar, cocoa and whisk together. Let cool.
- Beat yoghurt, eggs and vanilla till thoroughly combined.
- Add to stout mixture and whisk together.
- Add sifted flour and whsk again till smooth. Batter is a bit runny.
- Pour batter into a well greased and floured Bundt pan.
- Bake in a preheated oven @ 180 deg C for 50 to 60 mins. Test with a skewer till it comes out clean.
- Let cake cool in the pan and unmould the cake when it is completely cooled to prevent sticking.
I'm submitting this post to Chinese New Year Delights 2013 hosted by Sonia of Nasi Lemak Lover