I chanced upon a recipe from Joanie for Guinness Stout Brownies and since I had all the ingredients at hand, I didn't hesitate to give it a try. I had baked cakes and bread with Stout, so why not add a Brownie to the list....mmm
These crust cracked Brownies are superb, moist and full of choco flavour but without the slightest trace of stout at all, which means you can indulge in them at any time of the day!
Recipe for Guinness Stout Brownies (adapted from Joanie with slight modification)
- 1 can of Guinness Stout
- 12 oz chocolate, chopped
- 8 oz butter
- 1 cup/8 oz brown sugar (reduced from 1.1/2 cups)
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 4 oz plain flour
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Icing sugar
- Bring stout to the boil with 2 oz brown sugar, simmer till 3/4 cup. Let cool.
- Sift the flour with the salt, set aside.
- Microwave chocolate and butter, stirring in between till melted.
- Whisk eggs with the balance of brown sugar in a mixing bowl till light and fluffy. Whisk in the chocolate mixture and then the beer mixture. Fold in the sifted flour and salt. Mix well.
- Pour into a parchment lined 9 x 13 inch baking pan.
- Bake in a preheated oven @ 180 deg C till surface begins to set, around 40 mins. and a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Cool before slicing and dust with icing sugar.