This Chicken in Glutinous Rice Wine dish is an essential soup for women recovering from after childbirth, taken after the twelve day of delivery. Usually a home-brew, this rice wine uses glutinous rice and Chinese yeast cake and left to ferment in an air-tight jar for about a month. This is healthy food for post-natal mothers, helps in blood circulation, helpts to get rid of wind and warms the body. It can be served on its own or with hot white rice or taken with noodles.
Recipe for Chicken in Glutinous Rice Wine
- half free-range chicken
- 5 Shitake mushrooms, soaked, stemmed and cut
- 1 piece wood ear fungus/mook yee
- 1 small piece ginger, sliced
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup Chinese glutinous rice wine
- Sesame oil
- Salt and a bit of rock sugar to taste
- Saute the chicken with some sesame oil and ginger till fragrant.
- Add in the mushrooms and wood ear fungus, stir-fry.
- Add in 4 cups of water, bring to the boil, lower heat and simmer till chicken is cooked through.
- Pour in the glutinous rice wine (add more if desired), simmer to a light boil.
- Add salt and rock sugar to taste.
- Turn off heat, ladle onto serving bowls.