Traditional Mixed Nuts Mooncake was my dad's perennial favourite. At that time I couldn't understand why this festive traditional mooncake was most enjoyed by the older folks. But nowadays, I too have slowly acquired the taste for this sweet, salty and nutty variety. These cakes are best cut in small wedges, savoured by small delicate bites and not by the mouthfuls, and they are best enjoyed with a pot of hot Chinese tea.
Recipe for Traditional Mixed Nuts Mooncake
- Ingredients (Dough)
- 150 gm superfine flour, sifted
- 90 ml golden syrup
- 38 ml vegetable oil
- 2 ml alkaline water
- Egg wash - 1 whole egg + 1 tsp water, mix well and strain.
- Mix syrup, oil and alkaline water thoroughly with a handwhisk.
- Sift in flour, mix well with spatula and let rest for 2 hours or more, till it doesn't stick to the hands.
- Knead lightly on a floured surface.
- Weigh out 55 gm of dough, roll into balls and set aside.
- 30 gm walnuts, toasted and chopped
- 30 gm almonds, toasted and chopped
- 19 gm pumpkin kernels, toasted
- 38 gm kat paeng/candied lemon, chopped
- 75 gm dried winter melon, chopped
- 38 gm sesame seeds, toasted
- 30 gm caster sugar
- 60 gm koh fun
- 2.1/4 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2.1/4 Tbsp water
- 3/4 Tbsp rose concentrate
- 3/8 Tbsp golden syrup
- 1.1/4 Tbsp Brandy (optional)
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 3 Kaffir leaves, shredded
- Mix all the ingredients except the koh fun and Brandy.
- Leave mixture to rest for 1 hour.
- Mix in the koh fun, Brandy and roll out into balls of 150 gm portion.
- Flatten the piece of dough and wrap around a ball of filling. Shape prepared dough into a ball and press into a lightly floured mooncake mould. Shake off any excess flour from the mould.
- Press the prepared portion of dough into the mooncake mould, press out to dislodge the mooncake.
- Place mooncakes onto a parchment lined baking tray.
- Lightly spray some water onto the mooncakes.
- Bake in a preheated oven @ 180 deg.C for 15 to 20 mins. Remove from oven, let mooncakes cool for 15 mins. Apply eggwash once. Return mooncakes to the oven and bake again for 7 to 9 min. until golden brown. Let them cool completely.
- Keep cooled mooncakes in an air-tight container for the skin to soften. This will take about 3 days, thereafter they can be eaten.