These Pumpkin Angku Kuih were made using the same recipe as my Pandan Angku Kuih but I substituted sweet potatoes with pumpkin. Another minor adjustment that I made was I used water in this recipe instead of green pandan juice. Also, I made the mung bean filling a little bit savoury by adding in finely chopped shallots and some salt. So these Pumpkin Angku Kuih tasted a bit sweet and salty and they were soft and chewy..... Yum!
Pumpkin Angku Kuih ~ 南瓜龟糕
- Ingredients for Pre-prepard dough
- 150 gm glutinous rice flour
- 125 ml water
- 150 gm split mung beans, soaked overnight
- 80 gm granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 4 small shallots, finely chopped
Ingredients for Filling
- Rinse, drain and rinse the mung beans, steam for about 30mins. or till soft. While hot, blend them with about 3/4 cup of water till it forms into a paste.
- In a non-stick pan, saute the shallots with the oil till fragrant, add in the mung bean paste and salt, fry till it leaves the sides of the pan. Fine tune to taste.
- Dish out and let cool. Cover with cling wrap and keep refrigerated till ready for use.
- Roll out into balls of 12 to15 gm for the mini kuih and 45 to 50 gm for the normal kuih.
- 100m ml water
- 2.1/4 tsp rice flour
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- 40 gm glutinous flour (add this sparingly, may not need the whole amount)
- 100 gm pumpkin, peeled, steamed and mashed
- Banana leaves, cut into bigger size than the moulds, grease with oil.
- Mix water with the rice flour, oil and sugar. Mix till smooth. Cook over low heat, stirring to make a smooth paste. Leave to cool.
- Add rice flour paste to the mashed pumpkin, mix and add in the 'pre-prepared dough', mix, add in the 40 gm glutinous rice flour, sparingly and knead lightly till thoroughly mixed. Dough should be soft and moist but not sticky.
- Weigh out dough accordingly, 12 to15 gm for the mini kuih and 45 to 50 gm for the normal size kuih.
- Flatten the dough, wrap with the filling, shape into a ball and press into the lightly rice flour dusted moulds. Knock out the kuih and place onto a piece of greased banana leaf.
- Heat up a steamer and steam the kuih on medium heat, 3 mins. for the mini kuih and 6 mins. for the normal size kuih.
- Remove from steamer and immediately brush the kuih with some oil.
- Yield : 8 normal size kuih and 12 mini size kuih