This is a very simple Grapefruit marmalade recipe. It has a 'zingy' flavour, not too sweet and it's delicious with toasts, buns and in this case, I chose to spread it on my crackers. This marmalade is full of fruit, flavourful but not overpowering.
Recipe for Grapefruit Marmalade ~ 柚子果酱
- 4 Grapefruits about 2.1/2 lbs
- 2 cups water
- 300 gm caster sugar
- Put a few plates in the freezer to chill.
- Wash the grapefruits and put them in a large bowl. Pour boiling water on them for a few seconds to get rid of the wax on the peel. Then wipe them clean.
- Use a peeler to peel off the zest from the grapefruits, set aside.
- Cut the grapefruit into 8 wedges and remove the white pith from the grapefruit. (Discard the white pith for it's bitter). Remove the seeds and membranes from the grapefruit and place them into a cotton cloth bag.
- Add water, zest and sugar into a heavy bottom pot and boil the mixture on medium heat. Add in the bag of membranes and seeds to get the pectin. Stir the mixture until the sugar has dissolved making sure that the bottom doesn't get burnt. Let the mixture simmer under low heat for about 1 hour 15 mins., till it has reached the jelling point.
- Remove the bag and press out juice from it. Discard.
- To test the marmalade, turn off the heat and put a small amount on a plate that has been chilled in the freezer and return it to the freezer. Check it in a few minutes. It should be slightly jelled and will wrinkle a bit when you slide your finger through it. If it's still runny, continue to cook till it's jelled.
- Ladle the marmalade into sterilised jars. When they're cool, store them in the refrigerator.