I came across this recipe while surfing the internet and the method of making these cupcakes caught my eye. The recipe called for black tea but I tweaked it a bit and used Clear Green Tea from Lipton.
I also added a bag of infused tea leaves to the batter and this gave extra oomph to the cupcakes. Texture was soft, moist and not too sweet as I've reduced the amount of sugar. These cupcakes are best served accompanied by a steaming pot of Green tea.
Recipe for Green tea cupcakes ~ 绿茶杯子蛋糕 (adapted from 'here' with slight modification)
- 225 gm butter
- 160 ml milk
- 3 Green tea bags (I used Lipton)
- 3 large eggs
- 1.1/2 tsp vanilla
- 210 gm plain flour
- 1.1/2 tsp baking powder
- 120 gm caster sugar (reduced from 160 gm)
- 200 gm icing sugar for buttercream
- Pinch of salt
- 50 to 75 ml butter, milk and tea mixture (from the above)
- 150 to 200 gm icing sugar, sifted
- Place butter, milk and tea bags in a saucepan, heat on low heat. Once butter has melted, let mixture simmer for a couple of minutes, not boiling. Let cool for 10 mins. Strain the mixture, press the tea bags , then remove them, set aside. Mixture should have 230 to 250 ml left due to evaporation.
- Sift flour with baking powder and salt, set aside.
- Beat 160 gm butter and milk tea mixture with the sugar, till smooth. Leave the balance for the butter cream. Add eggs and vanilla. Mix well.
- Fold in the flour mixture till well combined. Add in a bag of tea leaves, mix well.
- Divide batter between the cupcake cases, bake for 17 to 20 mins. or till a skewer inserted comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Meanwhile, beat the Green tea infused butter and milk mixture and gradually add in the sifted icing sugar till the buttercream is thick and smooth. Once the cupcakes are cooled, pipe out or apply a slick of buttercream on each of them.
- Yield : 10 Cupcakes
I'm submitting this post to the Little Thumbs Up event, organised by Zoe of 'Bake for Happy Kids' and
Theme for the month of July is 'Tea'.