Recipe for Baked Oolong Tea mooncakes ~ 烤乌龙月饼 2015
- 150 gm superfine flour
- 90 ml golden syrup
- 38 ml vegetable oil
- 2 gm alkaline water
- Egg glaze - 1 whole egg, beaten and strain.
- 500 gm Oolong tea paste (store bought)
1. Use a handwhisk to mix the golden syrup, oil and alkaline water till no oil surfaces. Sift in the superfine flour. Mix lightly to form a dough. Cover and let rest for a few hours. (I let it rest for 4 hours).
2. Scale dough to 25 gm each, roll into a ball.
3. Scale filling to 40 gm each.
4. Flatten the piece of dough with a rolling pin, wrap a ball of filling inside, roll into a ball.
5. Press the ball of dough inside a plunger mould press out and remove the mould
6. Place mooncakes onto a parchment lined baking tray. lightly spray on some water.
7. Bake in a preheated oven @ 180 deg.C for 10 mins., remove from oven and let cool for 15 mins. Then apply egg glaze and bake again for about 10 mins. @ 175 deg.C
8. Let mooncakes rest ( 回油) for about 3 to 4 days before consuming. (Once the mooncakes are cooled completely, place them in an air-tight container to let the skin soften).
9. Yield : 12 mooncakes.