This soft and moist chiffon cake has a combination of orange and chocolate flavour and the texture is light and cottony. To give it a facelift, I dusted it with chocolate powder over a template. Fresh orange juice and zest do pair very well with the chocolate and they complement each other. Great to pair with a cup of perfectly brewed tea!
Orange chocolate chiffon cake ~ 鮮橙巧克力戚风蛋糕 (adapted from 'here')
(A) 6 egg yolks
22 gm caster sugar
75 ml canola oil
105 ml orange juice
135 gm plain flour
15 gm cornflour
1.1/2 Tbsp chocolate powder
Zest from 1.1/2 orange
(B) 6 egg whites
97 gm caster sugar
- Sift plain flour and cornflour, set aside.
- With a ball whisk, beat yolk eggs with sugar till pale, add in oil, orange juice and zest. Mix well.
- Sift the flour and cornflour mixture into the egg yolk mixture, mix well till smooth.
- In a clean bowl, beat egg whites till frothy, then add in sugar in three batches and continue beating till stiff peaks form.
- Fold 1/3 meringue into the egg mixture, mix well followed by the balance egg whites.
- Divide the batter into 2 portions. Mix one portion with the chocolate powder.
- Scoop half portion of the plain batter into an ungreased 23 cm chiffon cake pan, followed by a layer of chocolate batter, then cover up with the remaining plain batter.
- Lightly drop the pan on the work top to dispel any air bubbles.
- Bake on the lower rack of a preheated oven @ 170 deg.C for 50 to 60 mins. Test with a skewer till it comes out clean.
- Invert the cake immediately and let cool completely. Unmould by hand.
- Dust with chocolate or cocoa powder as desired.