Taking advantage of the price war between the various supermarkets for arrowroot/arrowhead, I bought some and whipped up this dish ........ Braised Pork Belly with Arrowroot/Arrowhead. One thing I noticed about this dish is that it does taste better overnight as the meat and arrowhead have been infused with the preserved bean curd aka 'nam yue'.... centre picture, and other sauces.
Above left picture of crushed arrowhead, plus 'nam yue' and right picture, pork belly marinated with the 'nam yue' paste and salt.
Crushed arrowhead being sauted with some smashed garlic in a wok on the left, and on the right, all the ingredients being cooked with enough water to cover up the whole dish....... simmer
and the final result is ................ this yummy dish !
Serve this hot with rice ............. Enjoy!
Recipe for Braised Pork Belly with Arrowroot/Arrowhead
- 800 gm arrowhed, peeled and crushed
- 300 gm pork belly, cut into bite size
- 10 gm (1 piece) preserved bean curd aka 'Nam Yue'
- 4 pips of garlic, smashed
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp oyster sauce
- 1 tsp dark soya sauce
- Salt and light soya sauce to taste
- Take half piece of 'nam yue', add some water to make into a paste and marinate the pork belly with some salt and sugar, for about an hour or more.
- Heat up a wok with some oil and saute the smashed garlic till fragrant, add in the crushed arrowhead and stir-fry. After about 8 mins., dish out and set aside.
- In the same wok, add in some oil and stir-fry the marinated meat.
- Add in the pre-fried arrowhead and add in enough water to cover all the ingredients.
- Make the remaining 'nam yue' into a paste and add in together with the oyster sauce and dark soya sauce.
- Cover the wok and cook on medium to low heat till the meat is tender and the arrowhead soft.
- Add salt, sugar and light soya sauce to taste.
- Dish out and serve.