I was intrigued when I saw this recipe, Lotus Root Cake recipe by Amy Beh in the Star not too long ago. Cake with lotus root ...... I'm not going to give this a miss! This recipe comes in very handy, especially now that Chinese New Year is barely 3 weeks away. Also, 'Lotus Root' which sounds like 'Lin Yau' in Cantonese is very propitious ..... literally meaning 'you have abundance'. So, I take this opportunity to wish all my friends and readers 'Lin, Lin Yau Yue' ..... 'Yue' here sounds like 'excess', hence 'May you all have bountiful abundance each and every year'!
This cake is moist, light, not too sweet as I've reduced the sugar and it's absolutely yummy.
At first glance one would think that this is a banana cake with raisins, you can never dream that it's lotus root!
Do give this a try ......... A veggie cake, full of nutrition, you won't regret it, it's truly delicious !
Recipe for Lotus Root Cake
- 150 gm young lotus root, finely grated
- 220 gm butter/margarine
- 130 gm caster sugar (orig. 185 gm)
- 1/8 tsp salt (orig. 1/4 tsp.)
- 5 eggs separated
- 285 gm plain flour (orig. superfine flour)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp vanilla
- 75 gm sultanas (orig. black currants)
- Chop up the sultanas and lightly coat with some flour from the above 285 gm.
- Lightly flour and grease an 8 inch square or round tin. Set aside.
- Grate the young lotus root and gently squeeze out liquid. Do not squeeze completely dry, but moist enough.
- Sift the flour with the baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Cream butter with sugar till light, creamy, thick and fluffy.
- Beat in egg yolks one at a time, mix well.
- Add in vanilla and grated lotus root till well combined.
- In another bowl, beat egg whites till stiff but not dry.
- Fold the egg whites into the lotus root mixture. Mix thoroughly, scraping from the sides and bottom of the mixing bowl.
- Finally add in the chopped and floured sultanas.
- Pour batter into prepared tin, bake in preheated oven @ 180 deg C for about 70 mins. or till skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Allow cake to cool in tin for about 10 mins. before turning out to cool on wire rack.