When I was making the Shanghai mooncakes I told myself that I must try this pastry with savoury filling. Have been putting it off for quite a while but have finally got down to it. It's delicious with the savoury chicken, resembles a bit like the 'Kai Sou' or Chicken pastries which can be found at the Dim Sum joints.
Divide the dough into 60 gm each, wrap it with some chicken filling, form into a ball, brush with egg glaze.
The chicken filling can be cooked a day before and kept in the fridge.
Serve this for tea or as a snack ...... great with a cup of hot Chinese tea!
Recipe for Shanghai Savoury Pastries
Ingredients for Filling
- 350 gm chicken fillet, diced
- 4 pips garilic, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- Salt and sugar to taste
- 1/2 Tsp salt
- 2 Tsp oyster sauce
- 1 Tsp sugar
- 1 Tsp light soya sauce
- 1.1/2 Tsp sesame oil
- 1 Tsp cornflour
- 1 Tsp dark soya sauce
- Dash of pepper
- Heat up a pan with some oil and saute the chopped garlic and onion till fragrant.
- Add in the marinated chicken and fry till cooked, adding in some water if necessary.
- Thicken the gravy with 1 Tbsp cornflour mixed with 2 Tbsp water.
- Add salt and sugar to taste, dish out and set aside.
- 300 gm plain flour
- 40 gm custard powder
- 1 Tsp baking powder
- 80 gm icing sugar
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 75 gm shortening
- 75 gm margarine
- 1 Tsp vanilla
- 1 egg plus a pinch of salt for glazing
- Sift flour, custard powder and baking powder into a large mixing bowl.
- Sift in icing sugar and mix well.
- Cut in the margarine and shortening, lightly rub in like bread crumbs.
- Add in the lightly beaten egg.
- Mix up the dough but do not knead.
- Leave dough to set for 30 mins.
- Divide dough into 60 gm each.
- Lightly flatten the dough, wrap it up with some chicken filling and shape into a round ball.
- Place the pastries onto a baking sheet, and lightly brush them with egg glaze.
- Bake in preheated oven at 180 deg.C for about 35 to 40 mins. till golden brown.
- Let them remain on the baking sheet for about 10 mins. before transferring them to cool on a wire rack. Makes 11 pastries.