Attempted this 'Apple Slice' with some green apples that had been sitting in the fridge, nearly half forgotten!
Spread half the cake batter onto a prepared cake tin, arrange the apple slices on top of the batter.
Sprinkle on some brown sugar and cinnamon. Then cover with the remaining cake batter, spread well before putting into the oven.
Although the apple slices have been baked, yet they were still a wee bit crunchy. The slight sourish taste did blend well with the not too sweet moist cake. Will pair well with a hot cup of tea or coffee!
- 6 oz plain flour
- 6 oz butter
- 3 oz caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 medium size green apples - peeled, cored and sliced
- 1.1/2 flat tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Some brown sugar
- Line a 9 inch sq. spring form tin, set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar till light, thick and creamy, add in eggs one at a time.
- Stir in sifted flour and 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder.
- Spread half the batter over the base of the lined tin.
- Place the sliced apples on top of the batter, sprinkle in some brown sugar and remaining cinnamon powder.
- Spread the remaining batter evenly over the apple slices.
- Bake in preheated oven @ 180 deg C for about 10 mins. or till light golden brown.
- Cool in tin for about 10 mins. before cutting up into squares/rectangles, as desired.