Made these Cream Corn muffins as I was eager to try out the Aussie Demerara sugar as a topping.
The full-bodied toffee and subtle butterscotch aroma of this sugar really helps to create a more flavourful and aromatic muffin. Add this sugar into your cofee .....Quote 'makes the pleasure of sharing intimate coffee moments even better' Unquote from CSR Demerara sugar.
These muffins are soft, moist, ideal for breakfast or serve them for tea. Must remember to sprinkle more of this sugar next time. Yummy!
- 150 gm cream corn (canned, any brand of your choice)
- 150 ml milk/soymilk (I used soymilk)
- 150 ml canola oil
- 80 gm caster sugar
- 2 tsp honey
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 250 gm plain flour
- 1.1/2 flat tsp baking powder
- 1 flat tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/4 flat tsp salt
- Some Demerara sugar to sprinkle
- Sift the flour with the baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt, mix well.
- Stir in the caster sugar and mix well, set aside.
- In another mixing bowl, add in the oil, honey, soymilk, vanilla and cream corn. Whisk in the lightly beaten egg and stir well.
- Pour this liquid mixture onto the dry flour mixture and mix till just combined. Do not overmix.
- Spoon onto paper cups and bake in preheated oven @ 180 deg C for about 25 mins. Insert a skewer into the centre of the muffin and see if it comes out clean.
- Sprinkle a generous amount of Demerara sugar onto the muffins immediately upon removing them from the oven.
- Serve warm.