I got hold of this Almond Bread recipe from a very old edition of Australian Women's weekly. After scrutinising the recipe and on googling for more information I realised that Almond Bread and Biscotti is one and the same cookie/biscuit. The cookie is very crunchy and there's not a drop of oil. It's not too sweet either as I've reduced the amount of sugar.
Updated on 26th April 2013. Many thanks to an anonymous reader who highlighted the difference between Almond Bread and Biscotti. They're not the same. Almond Bread has almonds and egg whites while Biscotti calls for whole eggs.
After whisking the egg whites till stiff, add in the flour, mix well and add in the whole unblanched almonds.
Mixture before baking and after baking......... just light brown.
Sliced almond bread on a paper lined baking sheet before baking.
Cooling baked almond bread on a wire rack.
Serve just one slice with after-dinner-coffee or as a delightfully crisp biscuit with ice cream.
Happy Valentine's Day!
- 3 egg whites
- 120 gm plain flour - sifted
- 90 gm caster sugar
- 120 gm unblanched whole almonds
- Whisk egg whites till foamy on slow speed, add in sugar and whisk on higher speed till egg whites are stiff but not dry. (To check whether the egg whites are done, remove and invert the whisk and if the peak of egg whites stand, then it's ready).
- Add in sifted flour, mix well, followed by the whole almonds. The consistency should be soft and light.
- Pour mixture into a lightly greased dish, 15cm x 8cm.
- Bake in a preheated oven @ 180 deg C for 30 mins till light brown.
- Let it cool in the dish completely.
- Remove from dish, wrap up in foil and put in the fridge for a day or two. It can also be freezed if you wish to keep it longer.
- When needed, slice thinly, about 2mm thick with a serrated knife.
- Arrange slices onto paper lined baking sheet and bake @ 130 deg C for 45 mins. till crispy and crunchy.
- Store in air-tight cookie jar once completely cooled.
Other recipes on Biscotti :
1. Pig Pig's corner - Nutty Slice Biscuits.
2. Christine's Recipes - White chocolate macademia and lemon Biscotti.
3. My Little Space - Rosy Fig and almond Biscotti.