I made this 'Cranberry Walnut Banana Cake' based on the same recipe as my post on
'Banana Prune Cake' and just substituted the prunes with cranberry and added in some walnuts and lemon juice. For easy reference I'll retype the recipe as follows .......
This cake is moist, full of flavour and nutritious. I made this for breakfast and had some for afternoon tea as well.
- 300 to 350 gm (skin removed) over-ripe bananas, mashed
- 150 gm butter/margarine
- 90 gm brown sugar
- 300 gm plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 50 ml vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 50 gm cranberries, chopped and coated with some flour from the recipe
- 30 gm walnuts, lightly roasted and chopped
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- A pinch of salt
- Sift the flour with the baking powder, baking soda and salt, set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar till light, fluffy, creamy and thick.
- Add in eggs one @ a time, mix well.
- On slow speed, add in the oil, mix well.
- Next, add in the mashed bananas, lemon juice and vanilla essence, mix thoroughly.
- Fold in the sifted flour, mix well.
- Finally, add in the flour coated cranberries, nuts, mix thoroughly, scraping from the bottom and sides of the mixing bowl.
- Pour the batter into a baking dish.
- Bake in a preheated oven @ 180 deg C for about 50 to 55 mins. Test with a skewer till it comes out clean.
- Cool in the dish for about 10 mins. before removing onto a wire rack to cool completely.