This is a very simple country style chicken dish which will go very well with rice or congee. It's also a suitable confinement dish for mothers after delivery and if it's for this purpose, then I would suggest using plenty of old ginger instead to help get rid of wind.
If you do have any leftover poached chicken, this is also another way of transforming it to this delicious and yummy dish.
- 450 gm chicken, cut into bite size, preferably free-range chicken
- 10 gm young ginger, julienned
- 8 shallots, sliced
- 1/2 cup water
- Sesame oil for frying
- 1 tsp each of : light soya sauce and sugar
- 2 tsp oyster sauce
- 3/4 tsp dark soya sauce
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Stir-fry the ginger and shallot with some sesame oil for a while, till fragrant.
- Add in the seasoned chicken, stir-fry.
- Add in the water and let the chicken simmer till it's tender.
- If the dish gets dry and the chicken is still not cooked through, sprinkle in some water. Fine tune to taste.
- Once chicken is cooked, dish out onto a serving plate.
- Serve hot with rice or congee.