I made these Apple Turnovers with the Kawan puff pastry and they turned out great. I served these for tea and they were well received by my family members. Not only were these flaky pastries delicious but they were extremely easy and simple to make. Aromatic pastries with apples, raisins and much more ..........
I've no idea how the name came about but I'm sure that I didn't 'turn over' any apples, instead I placed a fresh piece of pastry on top of the apple filling ....... so shall I give it another name? Perhaps, just simple Apple Puffs?
Recipe for Apple Turnovers
- 2 green apples
- 2 Tbsp orange juice
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 3 Tbsp raisins
- 3 Tbsp demerara sugar
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp flour
- Pinch of salt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten + 1 tsp water
- Combine orange zest and juice.
- Peel, core and cut apples into 1/4 inch dice, toss in with the zest to prevent them from browning.
- Add in raisins, cinnamon, salt, sugar and flour. Mix well.
- Place apple mixture onto a 4 inch x 4inch pastry, leaving about 3/4 inch border all round.
- Apply egg wash round the sides of the pastry.
- Place another piece of pastry on top of the apple mixture, seal and crimp the edges with a fork.
- Apply egg wash on top of the pastry.
- Cut 3 small steam vents on top of each pastry.
- Bake in a preheated oven @ 200 deg C for 20 mins., till puffed and golden brown.
- Remove from oven, let cool on a wire rack.
- Dust with icing sugar.
- Serve warm.
I'm linking this post to Aspiring Bakers # 10 Easy as Pie (August 2011)
Janine of Not the Kitchen Sink