Don't be misconstrued by the word 'coffee' in this 'Blueberry yoghurt coffee cake' as coffee is certainly not an ingredient required in the making of this cake. Coffee cake is just a class of cakes to be served alongside coffee or tea for breakfast, during coffee/tea breaks or even afternoon tea. Some may have a streusel or a light glaze drizzle as topping but more often than not they are flavoured with spices, nuts or fruits.
This cake is moist, not heavy but rich in flavour and the blueberries do add a little bit of texture to the cake. Coffee, any one?
Recipe for Blueberry yoghurt coffee cake
- 12 oz plain flour
- 1.1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1.1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 170 gm butter
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 7 oz caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 250 gm fresh blueberries
- 500 ml blueberry/plain yoghurt or sour cream
- Sift the flour with the baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt, mix thoroughly, set aside.
- Cream the butter with sugar till soft, creamy and light.
- Add in eggs one at a time, mix well. Add in the vanilla
- Fold in sifted flour, alternating with yoghurt, starting with flour and ending with flour. Scrape from the bottom and sides of the mixing bowl, mix well.
- Gently fold in the blueberries. Mix well.
- Pour the batter into a lightly greased and floured 9 inch bundt tin.
- Bake in a preheated oven @ 180 deg C for 1 hour and 5 mins. till golden brown. Test with a skewer till it comes out clean.
- Leave cake in the tin for a while before removing onto a wire rack to cool completely.