This is a cheat version of Chicken Pie with an Oriental twist. I call it 'cheat' because the pastry is store bought, 'Oriental', as I cooked the filling with Asian sauces. This was our family's dinner and all of us enjoyed it thoroughly...... another one-dish meal!
This is super easy to prepare. All you need to do is just cook the filling with whatever you have on hand, scoop it onto the ramekins and top up with a layer of Kawan puff pastry, touch up with some 'ICI', dump them in the oven, turn on the timer and just wait patiently ........... Here's how to do it!
Recipe for Chicken Pie
- 500 gm chicken breast, diced
- 200 gm onions, diced
- 140 gm canned peas
- 2.1/2 tsp cornflour + 1.1/2 Tbsp water to thicken
- 1 egg lightly beaten + a pinch of salt to glaze
- 3/4 cup water
- 1.1/2 Tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tsp each of : light soya sauce, sugar and sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp chicken granules
- 3/4 tsp dark soya sauce
- Dice up the chicken meat and marinate with the seasoning.
- Heat up some oil in a pan and fry the diced onions till fragrant. Add in the seasoned meat, stir-fry, add in the water and chicken granules.
- Once meat is cooked, test for taste, toss in the drained peas. Mix in cornflour thickening and set aside.
- Divide the mixture between 4 ramekins.
- Cover each ramekin with a piece of pastry, press the edges around the ramekin to seal. Prick holes on the surface with a fork for air to escape during baking.
- Apply egg glaze.
- Bake in a preheated oven @ 200 deg C for about 20 mins. till pastry is puffed out and light golden brown in colour.
- Serve hot with some salad or have it on its own.
I am submitting this to Aspiring Bakers #10 Easy as Pie (August 2011)
hosted by Janine of Not the Kitchen Sink