This chicken soup is slightly different from the normal good old chicken soup as it's double-boiled with black chicken. Flavoured with traditional Chinese herbs like sweet wolfberries/goji berries/Boxthorn fruits, Ginseng aka 'Pau Sum' in Cantonese and Yuzhu aka Solomon's seal rhizome/polygonatum, this soup is believed to be invigorating and nutritious. According to the Chinese, the black chicken has curative value and it's above that of white chicken meat as the former has less fat.
A short introduction to the traditional Chinese herbs.
'Pau Sum' helps to increase energy, enhance healthy blood circulation and also boost the immune system.
Wolfberries helps to improve vision and nourish the lungs and kidneys.
Yuzhu helps to treat dry throat, dry cough, promote production of body fluid and relieve dryness syndrome.
Black chicken, Wolfberries, sliced pieces of 'Pau Sum'/Ginseng and Yuzhu/Polygonatum
This delicious soup doesn't need much effort to prepare, it's just the double boiling that takes a longer time. Do monitor and also ensure that there's always water in the pot during the whole double boiling process.
Recipe for Double boiled Black chicken soup
- 650 gm or 1 black chicken with skin
- 5 gm 'Pau Sum'/American ginseng
- 40 gm yuzhu/polygonatum, rinsed
- 20 gm wolfberries, rinsed
- 5 cups hot water
- Salt to taste
- Wash the chicken, clean the inside, set aside.
- Prepare a double boiler with water, put the chicken inside the boiler pot, add in the ginseng slices, yuzhu/polygonatum, hot water and salt.
- Let the soup brew for 3 hours under medium low heat.
- Rinse the wolfberries and add into the soup before the last 15 mins. of brewing time.
- Skim off any fat from the soup surface, test for taste.
- Ladle onto soup bowls.
- Serve immediately.
I'm submitting this post to