I made this after gawking at Elin's Almond Cranberry Bread which she made using the gelatinized dough method. As I've tried making my Meat Floss Buns with this method before, I had no qualms making this as well. The result was a soft, fluffy loaf of bread filled with vibrant colours of berries, rasins, nuts and not forgetting the custard filling.
I really like the colour and the shape of this nutty loaf and believe me, this is real yummy. Thanks, Elin!
Recipe for Cranberry Raisin Walnut Loaf
Ingredients (I halved the recipe as I only made one loaf of bread)
- 50 gm bread/high protein flour
- 35 ml boiling water
- 200 gm bread/high protein flour
- 37.5 gm sugar
- 10 gm milk powder
- 1.1/8 tsp instant dried yeast
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 85 ml cold water
- 1/2 cold grade 'A' egg, lightly beaten
- 37.5 gm cold butter, cubed
Mix till well blended. Cook, keep stirring under very low heat till it becomes slightly gluey. Set aside to cool and thicken.
Filling - 50 gm cranberries, 50 gm raisins, 25 gm walnuts, lightly toasted and coarsely chopped.
Topping - 30 gm cranberries, 15 gm walnuts, lightly toasted and coarsely chopped.
Egg wash - 1 egg + a pinch of salt
Method for gelatinized dough
- Place flour in a bowl, add boiling water and mix with a wooden spoon. Lightly knead to form a dough.
- Cover with cling film and leave to cool in the fridge for at least 12 hours.
- Combine flour, sugar, milk powder, yeast and salt together in a mixing bowl. Mix well.
- Tear the gelatinized dough into pieces and add to the flour mixture. Add in the slightly beaten egg.
- Mix on low speed, adding in cold water gradually.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl from time to time, mix till dough is well combined and leaves the sides of the bowl.
- Add in the cold butter cubes, mix to combine. Then mix on high speed till dough is smooth, elastic and not sticky.
- Remove the dough hook, shape the dough into a ball. Cover with a damp cloth to prove in a warm place for 40 mins. or till double in size. Knock down air and knead lightly.
- Cover with a damp cloth and let rest for 10 mins.
- Roll out the ball of dough into an oblong. Spread the custard filling on the dough, sprinkle on the cranberries, raisins and walnuts. Roll up the dough into a log, tuck in the ends and place sealed side down into a lightly greased 5 x 8.5 x 3 inch loaf pan. Cover with a damp cloth and prove for 50 mins.
- Brush with beaten egg. Use a clean razor blade to slash the top of the dough, sprinkle on the topping.
- Bake in a preheated oven @ 180 deg C for 25 to 30 mins. or till golden brown.
- Let cool for about 10 mins. before unmoulding onto a wire rack to cool completely.
I'm submitting this post to Yeastspotting. Do check it out 'Here'.