Yes, I experimented with raw Japanese pumpkin again and baked this. The idea was to determine the colour of the cake based on the ingredients used. Also I want to 'endorse' that baking a cake with grated raw pumpkin + butter will produce a yellowish coloured cake. Whereas, a cake baked with grated raw pumpkin + oil will deliver a brownish coloured one albeit with a minimal amount of cinnamon. This time I used both a garnishing blade and a trimming blade to grate the pumpkin and ended up with both fine and thick pumpkin shreds. I like to see more traces of golden coloured pumpkin and certainly, I'll be using the trimming blade in the future.
Can you spot the green specks in the cake? I grated the pumpkin with the skin intact to lend more colour and I'm so pleased with the outcome this time.
This cake is moist and soft and cakes baked with butter are not so dense as cakes baked with oil. I kept the balance in an air-tight container in the fridge and the cake stayed fresh even on the third day.
Recipe for Pumpkin Walnut bundt cake
- 220 gm self-raising flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 120 gm caster sugar
- 150 gm butter/margarine
- 4 eggs
- 150 gm coarsely shredded pumpkin (with skin intact)
- 60 gm walnuts, lightly toasted and coarsely chopped
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Sift the flour with the baking soda and salt, set aside.
- Cream butter with sugar till light, creamy and thick.
- Add eggs one at a time, mix well. Mixture tends to be a bit runny, but it's alright.
- Fold in sifted flour in 3 batches, mix well.
- Add in the shredded pumpkin, mix well, scraping from the bottom and sides of the mixing bowl.
- Add in vanilla and the walnuts, mix well.
- Pour batter into a lightly greased and floured bundt pan. Level the surface and shake it a bit to expel air that maybe trapped in the batter.
- Bake in a preheated oven @ 180 deg C, for 40 to 45 mins. till golden brown.
- Test with a skewer till it comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cake cool in pan for 10 mins.before unmoulding and letting it cool completely on a wire rack.
I'm submitting this post to Muhibbah Malaysian Monday. Do check it out 'Here'.
Also submitting this to