This is the first time I'm making bread with shortening instead of butter or margarine. The combination of green tea and dates is also my maiden attempt. I was keeping my fingers crossed that I'll be rewarded with some fluffy bread which will go well with the nutty and sweet topping ..... and thankfully I wasn't disappointed. The bread was fluffy and soft, the green colour was satisfactory and the sweet aroma of freshly baked bread which wafted from the kitchen was overwhelming....inhale!
Want a bite? If I were to make this again in the future, I'll add another half teaspoon of green tea powder to give it more flavour. The good thing about this loaf is you needn't have to slice up the bread, just pinch it off and enjoy with a nice pot of hot tea!
Recipe for Green tea and Date Loaf
(A) 200 gm high protein flour
1.1/3 tsp dried yeast
30 gm sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 Tbsp milk powder
(B) 20 gm egg
40 ml milk
60 ml water (or slightly more)
1 tsp green tea powder
(C) 14 gm shortening
(D) 80 gm dates, seeded, chopped
(E) 1 egg lightly beaten - egg glaze
20 gm walnuts, chopped coarsely
Brown sugar to sprinkle
- Mix (A) with dough hook, blend well.
- Add in (B) to (A) and knead to form a dough
- Add in (C) to the above and knead to form a soft, smooth dough.
- Add in (D) and mix till well blended and not sticky. Cover with a damp cloth and let to rise in a warm place for 50 to 60 mins. or till double in size. (Press the dough and if the imprint of the finger stays, then the dough is ready for shaping).
- Knock out some air in the dough, knead for a while and divide the dough into 20 equal pieces.
- Roll each piece of dough into a ball, place 2 rows of 5 balls of dough in a lightly greased 9 x 5 x 3 inch loaf pan.
- Place another 5 rolls of balls on top.
- Cover with a damp cloth and let rise for 45 mins.
- Apply egg glaze
- Sprinkle on the chopped walnuts and brown sugar.
- Bake in a preheated oven @ 180 deg. C for 20 to 25 mins.or till golden brown.
- Let rest in pan for 5 min. before unmoulding and cooling it completely on a wire rack.