There are many streusel cake recipes on the internet but I'm not sure whether you've come across a Sweet potato streusel cake. This cake is delectable, something different and I like the crumbly streusel especially when the cake is served warm.
I waited patiently for the cake to cool before I could perform an autopsy as I was very anxious to see the colour........ and was most delighted to be greeted with a nice cool purple!
Recipe for Purple sweet potato streusel cake
- 8 oz cups self-raising flour, sifted
- 2.1/2 oz butter
- 4 oz caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup canola/corn oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup pureed or smashed purple sweet potatoes
- 1/3 cup raw sweet potaotes, diced small
- 3 tsp water
- 1 oz butter
- 1.1/2 oz sugar
- 2.1/2 to 3 oz plain flour
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- Prepare the streusel by mixing the butter into the flour, sugar and vanilla till crumbly. Set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar till creamy and light, add in the eggs, mix well.
- Add in the oil and sweet potato puree. Mix till well combined.
- Add in the sifted flour, mix thoroughly followed by vanilla and water.
- Add in the the sweet potato bits, mix well, scraping from the sides and bottom of the mixing bowl.
- Pour the batter into a lightly greased and floured 24 x 13 x 7 cm loaf pan.
- Sprinkle the streusel on top.
- Bake in a preheated oven @ 180 deg C for 30 to 35 mins. till golden brown. Test with a skewer till it comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let cake cool in pan for about about 10 mins., before unmoulding and letting it cool on a wire rack.
- Best to serve warm with a dollop of ice cream if desired.
I'm submitting this post to Bizzy Bakes