I was intrigued by a Root beer bundt cake recipe from Foodnetwork and since I had sarsi, I was keen to experiment. Well, sarsi and root beer taste more or less the same so that was not an issue. The recipe said that the batter would be slightly lumpy but when I came to that stage, I was surprised to see a runny batter and that was when fear set in. I was dubious whether this will be a success or a disaster and I had no choice but to carry on, bake it and accept come what may. Indeed I was relieved and bouncing with joy when I saw the cake rising beautifully in the oven.
A stunning moist, dark rich luscious chocolate cake, tasted more of chocolate than sarsi. This cake tasted much better the next day, chilled.
Recipe for Sarsi Bundt Cake (Adapted from Foodnetwork with some modification)
- 4 oz butter
- 8 oz plain flour
- 2.1/4 cups sarsi ( 2cups for the batter and 1/4 cup for later use)
- 4 oz unsweetened cocoa/chocolate powder
- 2 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 7 oz granulated sugar (orig. 8 oz)
- 4 oz brown sugar
- 1.1/4 tsp baking soda
- A pinch of salt
- 3 eggs, beaten
- Icing sugar for decoration (optional)
- 2.1/2 cups icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Grease a 12 cup Bundt pan generously with melted butter.
- Sift the flour with salt, set aside.
- Heat up 2 cups of sarsi, cocoa powder, chocolate, butter, granulated and brown sugar in a large saucepan over low heat until the butter melts and sugar has dissolved.
- Whisk the eggs into the sarsi mixture, then gently fold in the flour. ( The batter will be slightly runny).
- Pour the batter into the prepared bundt pan.
- Bake in a preheated oven @ 325 deg.F /165 deg.C for 55 mins. to an hour, rotating the pan halfway through for even browning.
- Test with a skewer to see whether it comes out clean.
- Remove cake from the oven and transfer to a rack to cool.
- Gently poke the cake all over with a skewer and pour 1/4 cup of sarsi over the cake, let cool in the pan for 20 mins., then invert the cake onto a serving plate and let cool completely.
- Sift some icing sugar onto the cake for decoration if desired.
Whisk another 1/4 cup of sarsi, a pinch of salt, icing sugar and vanilla in a bowl until smooth. Drizzle over the cake.
I'm sharing this with Bizzy Bakes - Meatless Mondays