Made these cupcakes quite some time back but only managed to put it up now. I rarely dress up my bakes but in this case thought that a little bit of light glazing will enhance the flavour as grapefruits are reputed to be sour. The cuppies were soft and fragrant and disappeared within a day.....
Recipe for Grapefruit Cupcake
- 6 oz plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonat of soda
- a pinch of salt
- 4 oz caster sugar
- 3 tsp grapefruit zest
- 4 oz butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tbsp grapefruit juice with pulp
- 1/2 cup milk
- Extra zest for decoration (optional)
- 150 gm icing sugar
- 2.1/4 Tbsp grapefruit juice (disard the pulp)
- Sift flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt, set aside.
- Cream butter, grapefruit zest and sugar till light and creamy.
- Add eggs and beat till well combined.
- Fold in sifted flour alternatively with milk.
- Mix in grapefruit juice.
- Scoop batter onto patty tin lined with cupcake liners.
- Bake in a preheated oven @ 180 deg C for 20 mins. till golden brown. Test with a skewer till it comes out clean.
- Leave cupcakes in tin to cool.
- Drizzle icing glaze on top and decorate with some grapefruit zest.
- Yield : 12 cupcakes