I've a soft spot for yam and can't resist buying them from the market whenever I see fresh ones. Came up with this dish which I can easily have it on its own ....... I'll eat the yam first, the chicken is secondary.
Recipe for Braised Chicken with Yam
- 1 kg free range chicken, skin removed and cut into bite size
- 800 gm (net weight) yam/taro, sliced or cubed
- 1 onion, cut into wedges
- 1 tsp light soya sauce
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 3 cups water or more
- Salt to taste
- Marinate the chicken pieces with some salt and pepper. Set aside for an hour or more.
- In a wok, saute the onion wedges with some oil, toss in the chicken pieces. Fry till fragrant.
- Add in the yam slices as well and continue to stir-fry.
- Add in enough water to cover the chicken and yam. Add in the light soya sauce and sugar. Bring to the boil, cover and lower heat to simmer. Cook till the chicken is tender and the yam, soft and creamy.
- Fine tune to desired taste, dish out onto serving plate.
- Serve hot with rice.